Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Do Over

Um, can I take that last post back? 

Can I get a do over? 

I don't think I'm quite ready to be found, if you know what I mean.  

Perhaps I've been listening to too much Dixie Chicks and Edie Brickell...

in the car...

with the kids...

REALLY loud. 

I suppose time will only tell what effect that will have on my two young boys. 

And "grow a pair"?  Really?  On my family blog? 

I think I'll crawl back in my hole now and just post some shots from October.  After all, I do have nine eight more years (I can't believe it's almost December -- WOW!) before I hit the big 4-0.  What's the rush?!  ***Clearly I wrote this weeks ago. ***
And yes, it's nearly Christmas and I'm still working on October. 
Sue me.

But back to October...

We made our annual trip to Sweet Berry Farms for pumpkins, hay rides, flower picking, and a good ol' fashioned temper tantrum (no photos of said tantrum are included due to the simple fact that my head was about to spin off my body with the amount of anger I was experiencing).

Remember last year when I went on about our "Good Day"?  Well, this was not one of those. 

I felt it in the morning. 

The kids woke up freakishly early and were already yawning and stumbling around before we even left at 9am.  They both fell asleep in the car, but not for long enough to keep them from being monsters.

We did all the usual Sweet Berry Farm things, like picking out pumpkins, cutting flowers, feeding the goats, riding on hay, crouching behind the aforementioned flowers to take a poop (Zach, not I), eating lunch, etc.

And then something happened...

Not even sure what it was because hello?! it's now practically January and I'm writing about early October and it was so painful I think my mind is probably trying to erase it.

Anyway, Kid #1, not #2 as one might expect, threw a miserable, horrible, no-good, very-bad fit.  Right in the middle of picnic area.  It started out just verbal until I reached for his hand and told him we were leaving.  With a mischievous smile on his face, he darted off.  It then became a bad episode of the Three Stooges.  Luke ran.  I chased after.  We dodged around trees.  Everyone stared.  It was absurd. 

Then Zach cried because we had to leave.  I ended up dragging two screaming kids to the car.  Fun stuff. 

These are some of the shots I took pre-tantrum.  As I mentioned before, I had a bad feeling about the day so I didn't even bother trying to get great pumpkin patch shots.  Plus, this is what tends to happen when I ask the kids to smile for the camera...


Or this one...

"Boys, BOYS, look over here!"
Nope.

This one's not bad...
Until you look closely and see the dead tooth. 
(This was only days before he had his two front teeth extracted.)

Eh.

This is the fourth year in a row that I've taken this shot...
I wonder how many more years he'll let me.



This is about thirty seconds after Zach hid in the flowers to take a dump...
That's probably why he's grabbing at his diaper and probably why Luke looks like he just smelled something foul.


Look at those curls!!!

A random shot that shows some of the pumpkins and gourds.  I tend to like the funkier ones...
This was a day when the boys had to wear jammies to school.  Sounds easy and fun, right? 

Wrong.

Kid #1 does not like wearing clothes to bed.  He prefers to sleep in the buff.  Therefore we own no pajamas in his size.  Luckily I found some in a hand-me-down pile from a friend.  Sure they were a size 8 and had an opening in the front (I don't know why, but that creeps me out), but at least I didn't have to buy pajamas that he would never wear again.  It does make me wonder what we'll do when he starts having sleepovers.  Yikes.

Anyway, back to the pumpkins...

What else?
Oh, Luke played t-ball again this fall.  I think it was his third season.  Nope, fourth.  Pretty much after four seasons of t-ball and two of soccer, you (meaning I, slacker mom) no longer take the camera or buy the fancy team photos.  However I did make myself bring the point-and-shoot to his last game...




No more curls.








Imagine if they're playing sports still in high school.  It will be amazing if I even make it to their games. :)

Ok, gotta run.

Perhaps I'll be back in February with a wrap up of Thanksgiving and Christmas.
No promises.

xo,
Jess

3 comments:

Girly Girl said...

oh Jess! I miss you! What a bad day, I hope you have recovered. I have just learned to just skip ahead instead of playing catch up. Either way it is better then nothing! Give yourself a break! Again... I miss you!

Barrett said...

You are hilarious! I can't believe you cut off those curls?! He looks even more grown-up without them. =( Funny about the #2! Ahhh, little boys! Such fun we have ahead of us! Always a good read! Love ya!

j2c2hap said...

That was a great read. I really liked the photos of the back of their heads. We have a lot of those at our house:) Makes you glad that digital cameras exist today, can you imagine how much film we'd waste trying to get a decent photo with a regular 35 mm... (Do they even make those anymore?)

Super cute kids... hilarious memories!