Thursday, July 15, 2010

Luke and the Giant Peach


Okay, so it's not exactly giant, but it seems humongous to us.


This is the first year our peach tree has produced anything even close to edible, and it has been soooo exciting. (I know, I don't get out much.) When we moved to this house in February of 2008, we didn't really pay much attention to the straggly little tree in our side yard. That summer it produced a few golf ball sized peaches that were quickly consumed by deer or whatever other varmints crawled up from the river. The same was true for 2009. We talked about maybe actually doing something to the tree, like pruning it or watering it, or something. But that didn't happen. So imagine our surprise this year when the peaches grew to normal size and actually resembled something one would find in the grocery store. We were skeptical, only bringing in a few at first. The kids waited (not so) patiently as they ripened, and we finally cut into them only to find the sweetest, most delicious peaches we'd ever tasted. (Okay, so maybe we're a little partial.) But who can argue with tasty, free, and organic? "Organic" might be a stretch but as I mentioned earlier, we do NOTHING to this tree...no pesticides, no chemicals, no water, no sweet talkin'...no nothin'. :) Granted they're not certified and we've yet to have a little man in a white coat show up with stickers to confirm so, but whatever. We've literally picked hundreds and have enjoyed sharing them with friends and neighbors, even packaging some in fun baskets with cute tags. Very "Martha Stewart", don't you think? Maybe I'm making a come back? With my lazily grown peaches? :) Maybe not. But I have caught the bug. I'm convinced next year we can start that organic garden I've been wanting. And by organic garden, I mean a couple of pots of tomatoes on our upstairs deck. Baby steps.





Look!!!  I finally figured out how to turn the flash off.  It's that incredibly obvious hidden little lightning bolt with a line through it. 

I have got to start reading my manual.

And yes, I am that dorky, adding branches from the tree.




We've yet to pick the peaches at the top of the tree, so if you live in the area and own a ladder, stop on by and help yourself.

And if anyone has advice on peach tree maintenance, I'm all ears.

xo,
Farmer Jess

 
PS-I'm in the process of changing our blog's name to gain some anonymity (as suggested by a friend). Any suggestions?


PSS-Some of you have mentioned that it is hard to comment or that your comments haven't shown up. I've made the commenting easier. Anyone can leave a comment by choosing "anonymous" from the drop down menu. No Google account necessary, no word verification. Just make sure to sign your name so I know who you are.  Do I sound like I'm begging for comments or what? :)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom used to have a pear and peach tree in her front yard...people used to knock on our door every year and ask if they can pick some or get the ones that have fallen...soon enough...someone will have a ladder in the back of their pick up and knock on your door and ask for some...My stepdad got sick of people coming by after like 10 years of living at that house and finally cut it down...I though it was funny!!

Lyn

Anonymous said...

Wow, those look delicious. Makes me want to get a peachtree, or a ladder.

Dina-

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I think it looks amazing! My kids are loving any food that we can grow ourselves!

j2c2hap said...

Great pics! Great looking peaches!

Ashley said...

Those peaches look amazing! Josh said he'd love to try some home grown Texan peaches....we'll have to schedule a visit for next year around this time.

Thomas said...

Save a couple for me!

One of your best entries, Jess -- though I enjoy every one. Keep it up!

Love,
Dad

Susannah said...

Those peaches look amazing! I am very hungry and you just made it worse. Thanks a lot. :)

Sarah said...

i'm an old high school friend of your Dad's. we just became Facebook friends and he told me about your blog. i've loved reading about your peach tree and kids. hope you won't mind a lurking stranger observing from afar. :o)

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

Ohmygosh, how CUTE is that first picture?! You have to frame that!

Kelly

p.s. I responded in the post, but just in case you didn't read it I wanted to let you know to feel free to drop me a line if you have rental questions. Maybe we can bounce ideas off one another!

Haven and Home said...

Those sweet faces, even sweeter than the peaches!

molldoll1117 said...

My what lovely peaches you have!!! ;o)

Kirsty Girl said...

Lucky uck!
They look great all bunched up on your plate! Fruit trees are such a great thing to have ! :)

Anonymous said...

yum! now you are making me want to plant a fruit tree :)

cotedetexas said...

haha - i'm miss seagrass i guess. too funny. actually too embarassing!!!

LindsB said...

so jealous- that is so nice to have around! Peaches are my favorite!!

Barrett said...

Very impressive peaches! Sorry, fresh out of advice for peach tree maintenance! =)

René said...

Those peaches look amazing. We need to visit an orchard. So glad you liked the ottoman.

-Rene

Jessica Ryan said...

I love your blog title... what's wrong with it?
Peaches... oh yum... I want some peach crisp or a peach cobbler right about now!

Ms. Cote de Velvet Greige said...

Love your blog. I just started one that I think you'll love too. Please stop by. Ms. CotedeVelvetGreige! :)